Monday, January 10, 2011

Coupon success: a good day for saving!

Photo by Sascha Erni
As I have posted before, I am a big fan of coupons. I use them almost daily, and have made it a habit to acquire, organize and use them in a sensible way. I try as often as possible to maximize savings by using coupons on items that are already on sale. It only makes good financial sense! Sometimes, circumstances intervene and I am forced to buy something at full price and so the coupon savings are not so great. Once in a great while, circumstances dovetail nicely, and I am able to combine my coupon savings with some hugely discounted items. This happened to me about a month ago, and I wanted to share my savings with you, the readers.

 
 Huggies Pull-Ups  reg. price $21.99, sale price $13.99 + $2.00 coupon=$11.99
Pampers Diapers  reg. price $22.99, sale price $13.99 + $2.00 coupon + $11.99
Pampers Wipes reg. price $15.99, sale price $8.99 + $2.00 coupon = $6.99
Johnson and Johnson baby body wash reg. price $6.99 + coupon for free product = free product!
Kraft Delissio Pizza reg. price $8.99, sale price $3.99 + $1.00 coupon = $2.99
So Nice Soy Milk reg. price $4.29 + $0.75 coupon = $3.54
Nature Valley Granola Bars reg. price $3.99, sale price $1.99 + $0.99 coupon = $1.00
Kleenex tissues reg. price $2.29, sale price $0.79 + $0.50 coupon = $0.29 (2 boxes)


Total coupon savings was $16.73!

Photo by Shlomi Fish
As a note, all of the items I would classify as "needed items", I was not just stocking up my pantry because of the sales. I actually needed all of the above items, and they went into use right away. It was just some good luck that week with the way the sales were working, and it was much appreciated around Christmas when money was a bit tight.

I have noted before the main sources of coupons that I use frequently are save.ca, www.brandsaver.ca and www.websaver.ca. Both the save and brandsaver websites have U.S. counterpart sites with the .com suffix. I also clip coupons that come periodically in the weekend newspapers (Redplum is one example). I have found that online coupons can be very useful (as in the above noted sites) whereby the coupons are selected by YOU the consumer, and the sites print the selected coupons and send them to your address. I tend to stay from coupons that you print yourself, as many retailers refuse to accept these due to widespread fraud. 


Keep clipping, keep watching the sales, and keep the extra money in your pocket! Sound financial sense!
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment