Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Years Resolution #2: Get in shape, kind of.

Photo by Ken Stewart
Tis the season for resolutions. Promises, hopes, dreams and expectations. I am no different. There are many things on my list of things to accomplish in 2011. One of my big ones is to get in shape. Sort of. I have to qualify this statement because I am really, really, really out of shape. I have never, ever really been "in shape". In my whole life. Honestly. So for me, the term "getting in shape" is a relative term. It means going from jiggly-no-muscle-tone-low-aerobic-capacity girl to some improvement of the above mentioned description. No problem right!

According to a recent poll, I am not alone. The second and third most popular New Year's resolutions are getting fit, and losing weight. I am definitely on board with both of these ideas. I am not obsessed with my figure, nor do I consider myself vain. But I have always been a bit overweight and never physically fit, so I feel there is definitely room for improvement. I will never have a model's figure, nor will I ever be an elite athlete, but I can definitely aspire to be an improved version of my present self. 

The most popular way to get fit seems to be joining a gym.
According to the International Health, Racquet and Sportsclub Association (IHRSA), there were approximately 45.3 million Americans belonging to 29,750 health clubs in 2009. Fitness clubs are ubiquitous, and the myriad offerings appeal to many people. Whether it's racquetball, squash, treadmills, hot yoga or pole dancing classes, there seems to be something to appeal to just about every personality and interest. For me, fitness clubs are an appealing option, but my budget will simply not allow it. Ideally, I think I would like to join a club, hire a personal trainer and have someone to assess my fitness level (zero) and figure out some exercises I could do to improve my state. However, no money is available for such diversions, so I have decided when the weather improves I will try to start walking. I live along a fitness trail, and it's free. So as soon as the snow and ice clear, I can start hoofing it along the trail and hopefully start my fitness regime.
Photo by emmequadro61

No comments:

Post a Comment